Porridge is such a wonderful warming, filling breakfast. This porridge recipe is my current go-to as it has so many different flavours and textures in that I simply can’t get enough of it. Porridge is a really great way to start your day because oats are slow-releasing energy carbs that keep us feeling satisfied & energized for much longer than other foods.
Most supermarket cereals are full of refined sugar and nasty preservatives so I love tucking into a bowl of homemade porridge bursting with sweet, juicy crunch and knowing that it’s made with only natural ingredients, as well as being incredibly tasty. The warm blackberries provide a fruity sauce in every mouthful, which I love combined with the vanilla in the porridge and the chocolate-y burst from the cacao nibs. This porridge is the perfect balanced bowl of nutrition to kick start your day in the best possible way, and also contains antioxidants from the cacao content & the berries, so is a real treat for our bodies!
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup nut milk (I use almond)
- 6 large blackberries
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder (I use Sunwarrior) (or vanilla extract)
- 1 pinch seasalt
- Crushed almonds (personal taste) (to serve)
- Cacao nibs (to serve)
- Splash of nut milk (to serve) (I use almond)
- Honey/maple syrup/agave (to serve)
- Add the oats and nut milk to a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over a high heat & cook the oats until soft.
- Add the vanilla protein powder (or extract) and salt to the saucepan & stir.
- Place the blackberries in the microwave for 30 secs.
- Once the porridge has thickened, turn off the heat and pour into a bowl.
- Serve with the warm blackberries, a splash of nut milk, crushed almonds, cacao nibs & sweetener of your choice.