My green & red salad is so fresh and delicious, yet is incredibly simple and quick to make. I will never get over how amazingly tasty a few fruit & vegetables thrown together can taste. It’s great on the eyes too, due to the vibrant green & red colours making it a really attractive, appetising plate of food.
Despite its few ingredients, there are a great number of textures in this dish; the cucumber, cherry tomatoes & pomegranate seeds provide a juicy crunch that bursts into different flavours; the avocado provides a creaminess; and the mushrooms add a silky smoothness. It’s honestly a party in your mouth. As well as tasting great, this salad is super healthy, packed with vitamins, minerals & antioxidants. All of the ingredients are very low-calorie and fat too, apart from the avocado, which adds only mono-unsaturated fat (the good kind of fat!) and actually helps our bodies to absorb all of the nutrients from the other ingredients. This dish is anti-inflammatory & is definitely a slimline meal, so you will feel amazing once you’ve finished eating!
This salad is wonderful as a light main or served as a side to a more wholesome dish. I personally like to add a portion of animal protein to mine, whether it be a grilled salmon fillet or tin of tuna, but that is a matter of personal taste. I sometimes add sunflower & pumpkin seeds for an extra dry crunch & dose of healthy fats, but that’s optional too. Though I always enjoy it with my Asian Tahini Dressing, which I cannot recommend more highly with this salad, as it has a really zingy, light flavour that goes beautifully with the ingredients in this dish!
- 200g mixed green leaves
- ½ cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- 50g pomegranate seeds
- 200g mushrooms (optional)
- Pumpkin seeds (optional) (to serve)
- 4 tbsp of my Asian Tahini Dressing
- Wash the mixed leaves, cucumber & cherry tomatoes (and mushrooms if using).
- (Slice the mushrooms into circular discs).
- (Add the mushrooms to a frying pan and place over a medium-high heat until they have softened & browned, then turn off the heat).
- Chop the cucumber & avocado into small cubes.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Layer the mixed leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber & avocado (and mushrooms if using).
- Make my Asian Tahini Dressing.
- Serve with the dressing, pomegranate & pumpkin seeds sprinkled over the dish.